Thursday, May 22, 2008

Defaced


It started very innocently. I was just trying to take a self portrait, and when I saw what my face looked like I said to myself (out loud) "I don't like my face today." So I grabbed a sharpie and scribbled it out. "There, much better. Hmmmmm. This feels kind of good." Ok, let me stop you right there. I don't hate myself, or my face for that matter, I just didn't like it yesterday. It happens, right? Then I remembered that I had another photo of myself where I didn't like the way my mouth looked, so I scribbled on that one, too. And then it hit me. Finally, something to do with all those "reject" polaroids I've been holding onto for years. The ones that got jammed in the camera, or yellowed in certain places, or the ones where I just didn't like my face. So I dug them up and just started writing the first thing that came to my mind. As if I was explaining the photo to someone else. Well, I couldn't stop. I even dipped into a couple of non-rejects. And, since I wasn't liking my face, I took some more self portraits and scribbled on them. Defacing is fun, and it brings some emotion to photos that weren't very, well, emotional. I hope you like what I have done so far.

When Andrew came home last night and saw what I was doing he said,
"Why did you draw all over your face?"
I said,
"I didn't like, uh, you wouldn't understand."
He probably would understand, but I think he likes my face everyday (as husbands should), so maybe he wouldn't.

My friend Chris emailed me. I think he thought I might be suicidal because of how blue I have been feeling. I told him that wasn't the case, I was just inspired. He's a good friend.

You can decide for yourself.

lovedoesntalwaysfeellikethis

ilovethiscouch

wefellinlovehere

whyishesoashamed

There are more here. And there will be more after that. I can't stop. Really, I can't. I'll keep you posted.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love them, so cool.

hannah said...

still kind of hyperventilating...

Anonymous said...

I am half scared and half totally exhilirated and inspired. I sense a huge feeling of freedom here-thanks for sharing!
p.s. what a sweet husband and friend!

Decor Fellow: James Saavedra said...

I think it is brilliant! Absolutely:)

Jennifer said...

I've been wondering why all morning. Now it makes sense. But it is strong. I was not liking my thighs and butt yesterday because they weren't fitting into pants. I think it helps when you have a creative outlet to almost explode onto. I didn't and just decided to eat dark chocolate.

Marni said...

very very powerful! it actually gave me chills when i went to your flickr sight and saw them. they make more sense now w/the blog explanation. beautiful emotion!

krysta said...

I first saw these on flickr and freaked out, I thought someone highjacked all your pictures but now this makes sense... a little freaked out but much better knowing you did it than someone else.

jen v said...

Wow! just wow.

Unknown said...

Hi. Found your "defaced" polaroids on flickr and they caught my attention. Made me wonder about them, so thanks for the blog entry with background info. You're on to something here. It takes courage to deviate from the "normal" and "accepted" ways of communicating and follow your intuition into uncharted territories. That's art. Being an artist takes you to unexpected places and sometimes results in work that others will not understand and even find scary. That's okay. I especially like that you've written the first thing that comes to mind. That spontaneity comes across in the image. Nice work.

Missy B said...

I love this post -- so much emotion in all the defaced polariods!

Tammy Gordon said...

love it. i can totally relate. also helps with artist block.

Cindy said...

i love how you're not treating your photos as something that's all precious - if that makes any sense?

Anonymous said...

I think it is brilliant. I can't seem to throw away my reject polas either because there always seems to be some kind of potential there. But YOU have found the perfect solution!

Anonymous said...

love them. yesterday i found this artist who actually creates art on her polaroids...
this whole "polaroid is no longer" has led me to some incredible stuff....like you and others with a love for polaroid.
veronica

Leigh said...

These are fantastic, I love how it just makes it even more origial and personal. I love all of your work.:)

Anonymous said...

visually your defaced images are very strong.
the one on flickr where your eyes are scribbled out reminded me of the work of makeup artist inge grognard for martin margiela.

and emotionally, most people can identify with a sense of dissatisfaction with the way they look at times. very raw and real.

Jill said...

these are so awesome...you are one creative and talented lady! i like how you took these photos to the next level.

Unknown said...

very wonderful.

Hila said...

Hi! I've been browsing your blog for a while now and just love it - your photography is just amazing!
Personally, I love the "defaced" photos. I like my beauty to have a bit of oddness to it :)

notebookdoodles said...

aaaah.. i could never do that to my polaroids as much as i want to!! but these looks great. it gets more meaningful with the writing i think =)

notebookdoodles said...

p.s. don't stop.

Anonymous said...

powerful. beautiful. liberating.

i'm a fan!

mary plus vince said...

these are absolutely brilliant! love them! hope you don't mind me sharing them on my blog -- i linked back over to yours! i just love these. so awesome + inspiring!!

Astrid said...

Love it. Simply love it.

amy korngiebel said...

these are so simple and honest. i love them.

Molly said...

Reminds me a bit of post secret.

mawazee said...

hello!!
i visit ur site,but have never left a comment b4.i gotta say I LOVE THE DEFACED SERIES!!

Absolutely Fabulous said...

love it in its simplicity and honesty!

Heather said...

ah, the ashamed one is to die for!

:)

One Shot Beyond Photography & A little More>