Saturday, June 14, 2008

I cut out my face


So we got home from dinner last night and I was just thinking about defacing the polaroids (which andrew hates! . . ."Why are you taking your face out? I don't like that. Not at ALL!" . . .it's sweet) and then I saw the scissors innocently sitting on the dining room table (which has served for the last month as a polaroid staging area). I found a photo from the "stack of photos where I hate my face" (it's a big stack) and started cutting. Half way through I realized my face was kind of heart shape so I just went for it. When I was done I ran into Andrew's office, "I have a present for you!" and handed him a little heart with my face on it. He absolutely loved it and set it on his monitor so he could see it all of the time. Now we were both happy. I lost a face and he gained one. - - the first of many, I presume. Then I slept on it. I woke up this morning and thought it could be interesting to play around with what is going on in my head (or in this case what was going on - - the text is a direct quote from the first love letter I ever wrote Andrew). I'll let you know how it goes. I will say that I never thought defacing myself could be this much fun, and so very liberating.

12 comments:

heather smith jones said...

i'm so glad i came here from your flickr to read this. i now know that your thoughts in this image from a time ago and perhaps are passed. i like too that you gave your husband your face as a heart. this completes the story.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of 'trashing' (but not quite!) your polaroids. There's something irreverent about it, especially now that film is hard for me to find.

Maria
http://blognow.com.au/makemyheartsing

Relyn Lawson said...

I love it! Especially the way that you are now you are both happy. Isn’t it nice when you can please someone and make art, too?

Darci said...

I love the way in turned out. Plus you made Andrew happy :)

mati said...

ok, love the idea of reframing in a way an old object of beauty into a new one-yet shared or multiplied by your process-and now you know your face is heart shped and your old love letter sits behind the present love ! ps loved interview at ATBB
bethenais

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Hello. I come to you by way of Felicity. Appreciated your interview there. You are a special person, it is evident.
Keep tapping and telling these great heart shaped tales!
Constance

Stacy said...

Perfect.

Heather said...

that's such a cute little story...pretty polaroid even w/o your face.

One Shot Beyond Photography & A little More>

cassandra said...

absolutely love it. <3

Anonymous said...

powerful shit homegirl.......
although I like the more primitive and immediateness feel of the sharpie defaced polaroids.....

mnB said...

just trying to spread the word to all of the polaroid users and lovers that a limited final run of the sx-70 manipulatable film is avail for order now at www.freestylephoto.biz!!! yeah for us :)

Princess Ody said...

that's a great idea and a cute shot! :)