Friday, July 18, 2008

Real Simple


Before I say anything more, let me just say I am having an absolutely awful day (actually the last week has been a bit yucky). It started when Andrew's grandmother past away this past weekend. He traveled back home to Australia and I couldn't go with him. So everything seems a bit more intense without him here. I'm sure any and all of my circumstances could be cured with a little snuggle.

Well, our scanner doesn't work (as I mentioned earlier this week) and it is causing me a lot of stress and Canon isn't being terribly helpful. My self timer for the polaroid died, which makes it very difficult to finish a project I am working on for Erin. My .mac site is not working so I cannot send or receive emails from that account and I only had to wait on hold for an hour and twenty minutes to find that out (and no, we don't have a speaker phone, and yes, my ear hurts). I usually try not to dwell on any of this, but it has been tough. There actually are a lot of great things happening, too, they just seem a bit overshadowed today.

Now, about this post's title. I wanted to tell you a while ago that I shot something for Real Simple Magazine. I was so excited, but I didn't want to say anything until the issue came out. I love that magazine and I love the girls that work at that magazine, so I was thrilled when they asked me. The first issue that I shot for them came in the mail today (August 2008) and although super excited to see my name, I was a bit sad about the image. It got, well, cropped. I know that happens, a lot. Not a big deal, but I thought at least I have an outlet here to show the shot in it's entirety, because I thought it was pretty cute. Fingers crossed that the next one squeezes itself onto the pages of the September issue.

Oh, and did I mention I'm on a diet. I picked a bad, bad week to go on a diet.

ps. this looks great

and THANK YOU for everyone who either posted about my small magazine shoot or replied directly to me. It's going to be amazing!!

21 comments:

Holly said...

i just ran to my real simple, but its the july issue. cant wait to see the august one!

Decor Fellow: James Saavedra said...

Chin up my dear (that or bottle's up!). its all just stepping stones..one at a time. You'll look back and laugh. Certain. As for the diet...you can always jump back on the wagon tomorrow. I think a definite foodie meal is in order :)

At least some johnny waljer on the rocks:)

nikky said...

love your blog.

i just bought a Polaroid camera i found at my local thrift store, only to find out that the price of film is pretttty pricey. so i was wondering where you bought yours and if you have any ideas about where to purchase it...!

thanks,
nikky
(http://closetremedy.blogspot.com/)

Jennifer said...

Gasp! Real Simple. Congrats Jen. Things will get better.

Cindy said...

sorry you've been having a tough week, but it is over and new one will begin, kind of like a do-over. love the photo. looking forward to it in real simple, too.

Elizabeth Soule said...

I'm right there with you. Internet died, car broke down, the list goes on. I ended up on the couch with a beer and season 3 of project runway. Cheer up! It can only get better.

/// said...

Oh Jen... the crop. I'm so so sorry. I'm blessed by your outlook on life, and you are quite right: they do happen for a reason.

I'm so so proud of you for your Real Simple coverage [not a 'real simple' task!] and just know that this is only the beginning.

Just know that they can crop your pics, but not your spirit! ;)

Amanda Nicole said...

As a writer, I empathize with you about the cropping. Editors will slash favourite bits, insert something gimmicky and overdone, and you're left with a piece that you feel may no longer be your own. But the perk is always the byline!

PS: I just bought a Polariod as well, and was wondering where you get your film from.

Anonymous said...

what page is your photo on? i can't find it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That's so exciting! It's a dream of mine to have even one, tiny little picture in that amazing magazine. But it's hard to even know where to start [where DID you start?]. I hope you feel better soon and that everything falls into happy places.

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

bless your heart. i think it is a bad, bad week for artists. i hate when everything goes wrong and your man is so far way. i can totally relate. its about to get better...thinking good thoughts.

Marni said...

Here's hoping that this week is better than last week! Big smiles.

Julia said...

i am new to blogging (as you see i sent an email instead of a message--ooops). just wanted to say your blog is one of the first i stumbled upon. love your style. hope things cheer up. sometimes i tend to hit my electronics in frustration, it sometimes works but i dont recommend it. :)

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness jen - i am so sorry about your stressful week, i do hope andrew returns home soon...

and a big bear hug for real simple!! you are such a rock star jen - can't wait to see where this all leads - you are amazing! xoox

Stacy said...

sorry to hear it's been just a disaster week. It's monday though, and a new week starts today.

Congrats on the magazine.

Kristin said...

Congrats! Can't wait to see the August issue and sorry you're having such a bad week. Hang in there!

Sheri said...

i love your blogs and i can't wait to get hold of a copy of Real Simple!! Congrats and hang in. Bad days make us appreciate the good ones, I suppose. :)

Steph Parke said...

Despite the crop, your photo still looks lovely. Congrats on making the cut in the first place. Now I'm going to have to take the quiz!

Hope your week has improved drastically!

Anonymous said...

congratulations!! i'm sure your talent will shine through even though it's cropped!! =)

hope your rest of the week gets smoother!!

joanna
www.candlelight.hk/blog

Erin Gates said...

Hi stranger!
Wallpaper coming your way- e-mail me your address again, I seem to have deleted it in an inbox cleanup attack. Am including some of another new one I found too as a surprise!
Feel better- running out to get Real Simple now!
xo,
Erin

heather smith jones said...

your work is so amazing jen, cropped or not. :)

you are awesome! remember that :)