Thursday, January 14, 2010

peonies and carnations


yes, i said it. carnations. i am really starting to fall hard for carnations, especially when those darn peonies are so expensive. i had some left over from a shoot and was lucky enough to find a stow away box of polaroid in the back of the fridge. one reason why i think i used to hate carnations is that in high school our school would have fund raisers on different holidays (christmas, st. patricks day and the dreaded valentine's day). for a buck you could send anyone in the school a carnation (dyed to match the holiday - i.e. green for st. patrick's day - how lovely) and it would be hand delivered to them in homeroom. well in high school i wasn't really a part of any one group. i spent my freshman year with what i thought were a bunch of nerds in a.p. classes with 6 students, but my best friend's were very pretty and popular. i think i was somewhere in between. not sure that my humor translated well. i think it takes people a while to develop the ability to understand (and appreciate) sarcasm and for a sad few, that ability never comes. i know this because i have met them and its, well, awkward. if nothing else, i was nice. nice and cute - two words i used to hate and now i would welcome either. this nice/cute combo seemed to endear me to the less fortunate fellows in the school. . . the nerds. to them i was attainable, although my sites were set a lot higher. well one fellow in particular was very reliable when it came to sending carnations. every holiday they would call my name and i would anxiously read the card thinking that maybe my boyfriend, who actually attended another high school might have found a way to beat the system and send me flowers. nope, it was always that silly, lanky, nerdy guy and luckily for me, we shared homeroom (the luckily part, that was sarcasm). so as i read his name on the card i would slowly lift my head, look in his direction, force a smile and mouth the words, "thank you." well as it turns out, i ran into the same fellow at our ten year high school reunion and he was GORGEOUS. OMG. and the answer to your next three questions is yes, yes and no. so the moral to this story is simple: DON'T HATE ON CARNATIONS.

18 comments:

Hannah Sadie said...

Haha, such a cute story! You've got to admit, the nerds really were way cooler than everyone else (I say that because I was one haha). Lovely photos, as always :)

betsy and iya said...

yeah, the nerds win all the way. love this! and those carnations--soft, fluffy, gorgeous.

Brandie said...

lovely photos. I started loving carnations a little while ago and they are wonderful! so simple and cheap and just enough to cheer up any space.

Jacinda Davis said...

I loved your story and photos! :) I wonder what my high school reunion will be like.

Claire said...

I loved this, and yep I hung out with the cool kids at school but from about 2 years after leaving realised that the nerds were actually much more interesting, in fact cooler all the way...

and I'm starting to love carnations too.

LoveFeast Table said...

great story! Maybe I'll have to rethink carnations, even though I don't think they'll ever replace peonies in my heart!
~kristin

Chris Waters said...

LOL, I'm trying to figure out the order of the three questions!

kat_jackson said...

gorgeous!! I love your photography and your blog, I wanted to feature you here on mine.
-kat
http://heartandcrafts.blogspot.com/2010/01/pretty-pretty-peonies.html

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I think carnations can be gorgeous when done SATC style and it's one gigantic monochromatic bunch of them...especially in pink!

bri. said...

girl, i could read your writin all day.

chelsea said...

:) LOVE reading your stories Jen! Probably just as much as I love looking at your Polaroids.

Imaginale Design said...

Haha, loved this story :) I can just picture that awkward lifting of the head to look over in his direction. At least you were polite ;)

Estelle Hayes said...

I'm so happy you're back. I love carnations. Big, sappy love I tell you. My mom used to get a bunch from the grocery store and put them in a vase by my bed while I was sleeping and I would wake up to them from time to time. They make me happy.

I ♥ You said...

i love carnations in HUGE arrangements. gorgeous photos.

Devon said...

rose carnations are my sorority's flower, and i love them. at first i was like, wtf are they? but after getting one after each special event, i cherished them and took such good care of them. they are gorgeous flowers and so young and fun and are so special to me!

kate said...

pictures are amazing!
i love this!

kate
http://katewalk.blogspot.com/

ps: sorry for my english ;.))

Zane Wooder said...

Carnations are pretty but I honest don't know any flowers that I don't think are beautiful in their own way.

-Zane of ontario honey

laptop dell cũ said...

After viewing a few posts on your blog, I appreciate your blogging technique. I have saved it as a favorite to my bookmarking list and will check back soon. Take a look at my website as well and let me know your opinion: laptop cũ uy tín